Recently, in an old recipe book (of all places!), I came across some words of wisdom. I’m not sure what they were doing on page 2 of the book but their prominence intrigued me. Reading through this list of ten tips for a balance in life, I decided that they were also good tips for living as God would have us do. I went on a search and found scriptural support for each of the ten suggestions.
Use these scriptures to meditate on the way you open the door to allow God in to each aspect of your daily life.
1. Take time to WORK – it is the price of success.
2 Timothy 2:15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, handling accurately the word of truth.
2. Take time to THINK – it is the source of power.
Romans 12:2 Do not conform yourselves to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, so that you may judge what is God’s will, what is good, pleasing and perfect.
3. Take time to PLAY – it refreshes the soul.
Ecclesiastes 3:13 For every man, moreover, to eat and drink and enjoy the fruit of all his labor is a gift of God.
4. Take time to READ – it is the foundation of knowledge.
Psalm 119:105 Thy word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
5. Take time to HELP and ENJOY FRIENDS – it is the source of happiness.
Proverbs 27:9 Oil and perfume make the heart glad, so a man’s counsel is sweet to his friend.
6. Take time to LOVE – it is the one sacrament of life
John 15:12 “This is my commandment, that you love one another just as I have loved you.”
7. Take time to BE GRATEFUL – it hitches the soul to the stars.
Psalm 28:7 The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and I am helped; therefore my heart exults and with my song I shall thank Him.
8. Take time to LAUGH – it is the singing that helps with life’s loads.
Job 8:19 &21 “Behold, this is the joy of His way; …He will yet fill your mouth with laughter, and your lips with shouting.”
9. Take time to WORSHIP – it is the highway of reverence and it washes the dust of earth from our eyes.
1 Chronicles 16:29 Ascribe to the Lord the glory due His name; bring an offering and come before him; worship the lord in holy array.
10. Take time to PRAY – it is the key that opens all the doors.
1 John 5:14 We have this confidence in God: that He hears us whenever we ask for anything according to his will.
And don’t forget to take time to PLAN – it is the secret of being able to have time to take time for these ten things!
The more we spend time with our heavenly Father, the more we become like Him.
You might enjoy the following musical selections. First, a traditional version of Take Time to be Holy by the Master’s University Chorale
and a more contemporary version of the song by the Collingsworth Family
~ Anne Bennett